Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Who Will Remember Our Works???" A Question.

I commented the following on another persons blog in response to their question , "Who will remember...?"... And it was asked regarding artistic expression...
I said....
Personally I was seventeen and I liked Zeppelin plenty, I never saw this film tho, pity...I am not sure What I'd have made of it...but as to your posit that "art is what is remembered"... I dunno...I tend to think "Art" is art regardless of being remembered... Art for art's sake??? God no...I mean to say that , for instance,...a soldier's actions in the midst of horrific battle could be justifiably seen and regarded as high art.
Or conversely, the surgeon performing near miraculous brain surgery could be seen as surpassing skill and expressing an art.
I do not mean to argue here, I agree that "Art" is remembered, just not by all and not always... And the clutter...it Is all around , it is called civilization....
I don't know whom our works will be remembered by, nor even if that is a criteria that we should consider in our contemplation of action... I believe that we should do what we see, feel, and think to be correct for the moment and posterity will out. And if it happens to be done in a fashion that elevates the act beyond the norm...well then we arrive at another , the strongest notion of Art.
I used to blithely tell folks that there was no excuse for bad style....Now I just think there is no standard that is "THE" standard.

No comments: