Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Addendum To The Preceding Post

Being of sound mind ( well I think so) and completely heretic in thought I left a Rant here earlier.. I want to stress to any who read it that it was mostly my actual feelings.
The remainder was rant .
I cannot help it. When the subject of "Evangelical" Christianity arises in a discussion it rarely ends with any kind of charitable thoughts.
I quit the faith because I became enlightened; i.e. I acquired a larger view on the world at large.
I am convinced that the average "Fundamentalist" or "Evangelical" identifies themselves as such from a provincial and essentially unrefined world understanding.
Ask most any young "Christian" to explain a simple concept such as "Charity" and they cannot do it. And there is an entire book in the new testament that explains it.
I read a Christian Science Monitor article today about the rise and fall of "Evangelical" influence and I found themes that I wholeheartedly agree with and simultaneously felt discouraged by..
Religion is a nearly universal Human construct. Humans from the most isolated and primitive tribes will be found to have some sort of belief about the unseen and unknowable. Having said that I have to stress that religion is at the heart of many world calamities...
History is rife with accounts of horrible and terrible criminal acts performed by and for and in the name of religion...
I think organized religion is simply incapable of being anything except a human mechanism for dealing with fear and uncertainty.
Yet Modern "Fundamentalism" in any form, Christian, Hebrew, Islamic..whatever..seems to have become more of an enabler of evil than good.
Can't be helped, it is the very nature of repression and repressive indoctrination. Human nature will simply look for and find an avenue to exploit in any restrictive or rigidly controlled behavior set.
WE are too inquisitive and curious to simply accept and comply with what we are told.. For an infinite span of time.
History bears out that whenever we have allowed repression to take complete control, eventually that system collapses in on itself from its on untenable construction.
The weakness of such constructs is always US.
This is WHY the GOP and "Evangelical" coup is failed and disintegrating , because there are people involved and they each have personal thoughts and feelings and agendas... And my personal feelings and agendas will with few exceptions be the interchangeably same as anyone else's. Even (especially EVEN ) my spouse with whom I share more than half my life to date... Because, she is as individual as myself, as George Bush, as Elijah, as, Mary Magdalene, as Stalin, as Abraham Lincoln.
And Now because of a very few individuals we have all this calamitous economic ruin to deal with...Almost completely caused by the greedy, acting under the license and protection of the religious zealots that placed the control of our beloved country in the hands of these criminals..
Thank You Jesus...

No comments: